Ariens 42 in 19 HP Model 960460024 Riding Lawn Tractor Review
It’s Not The Best Lawn Tractor….It’s The Best Lawn Tractor For You!
I have seen this mower before. It looks like a very popular tractor from the last decade. It took me a while to figure out exactly where I had seen it, but finally I figured it out. It has the exact same specs as a 2008 Craftsman. Right down to the hood, engine type, turning radius and controls. Because of this fact I will change my normal review layout to include a direct comparison of this tractor with the 2011 Craftsman it is competing against.
What a compliment to Sears and their Craftsman tractors. It’s one thing when someone copies your work because they like it and feel it is the only way to compete. It’s another when they use your old, outdated technology to say they have a “new” riding mower.
Face it, Craftsman mowers are popular. They consistantly are the best rated mowers in the industry and eventually you will own one. They are so popular that it looks like Home Depot is now offering similar (read older) versions of them with Poulan and Ariens names and colors. The Poulan has gone so far as to use the red color instead of it’s own black/yellow paint scheme!
Proof? I happen to have a copies of the 2008, 2009 and 2010 spec books that a Sears Sales Associates carried around in their pocket to help you find the right mower. This is the handbook that goes along with the hours of training every Sears Lawn & Garden Associate gets before they are allowed to help you. Anyway, I spent a few hours comparing the specs of the “new” Ariens mowers at Home Depot and I have come to the conclusion that these Ariens tractors have the same, exact specs that the Craftsman models had in 2008!
Ariens and Home Depot are welcome to contact me and show me the difference! I’m sure the engines in these mowers have the required EPA changes for 2011 otherwise I can’t tell the difference between these “new” mowers and the 2008 Craftsman lineup.
The Ariens does not have the 6 inch Turn Tight Technology the 2012 Craftsman’s have. In fact the Ariens has a large 16 inch turning radius. The older Craftsman had a 14 inch.
My Value/Cost Rating: Lawn Tractor: Mows Lawn Well, Mulches, Gets Through Tight Spaces Well. Great for 1/2 to 1 Acre Lawns, Light Hauling, Light Snow Removal. Accepts Light Attachments & Bagger.
Type: Lawn Tractor. See Tractor Rider Mower Types for a complete explanation.
Engine Type: Good. See Engine Types for a complete explanation.
Transmission Type: Hydrostatic. See Transmission Types for a complete explanation.
Speed Control: Fender Infinite
Accepts Light Duty Attachments
Direct Comparison of this tractor with the Craftsman it is competing against.
Product Data is taken directly from Home Depot .com and Sears.com at the time of this review. Please check the sites for current info.
- Brand: Ariens Model 960460024 Craftsman Model 28851
- Engine Size: Ariens 19 hp Craftsman 21 hp
- Cylinder: Ariens 1 Craftsman 1
- Transmission: Ariens Hydrostatic Craftsman Hydrostatic
- Cut Width: Ariens 42 in. Craftsman 42 in.
- Blades: Ariens 2 Craftsman 2
- Turning Radius: Ariens 16 in. Craftsman 8 in.
- Frame: Ariens Steel CraftsmanSteel
- Cutting Positions: Ariens 6 Craftsman 6
- Forward Speed: Ariens 5-1/2 MPH Craftsman 5-1/2 MPH
- Gas Tank: Ariens 1.5 gallon Craftsman 1.5 gallon
- Average Price: Ariens $1399 Craftsman $1399
What I Like!
This mower is great for those of you who want a good, basic and don’t have a lot of obstacles to mow around. The fender mounted hydro will work well for normal mowing tasks. It will mow well and the 19 hp motor should have enough power to do your weekly lawn chores. Don’t expect to mow very fast if you have dense, heavy grass or you don’t get around to mowing as often as you should.
Product Description From Home Depot.com
This Ariens riding tractor has premium features found on more expensive tractors such as a powerful Kohler 19 HP engine, a hydrostatic automatic transmission, plus a 42 in. mowing deck with 4 deck wheels and a wash out port, all at a value price. Throw in a comfortable high back seat and handy beverage holder and you will find this solid looking riding tractor is all you need to get the job done quickly and easily.
- Assembled dimension: 45 in. W x 72.75 in. D x 46 in. H
- Powerful and dependable Kohler 19.0 HP engine allows you mow through thick grass with ease
- Mows in reverse,this feature is not found on comparably priced front engine lawn tractors at other retailers
- Smooth hydrostatic automatic transmission with lever control that allows you to match the speed to the job
- 42 in. mowing deck with spring assisted deck lift, 4 anti-scalp wheels plus a deck wash-out port, will give your lawn a manicured look
- Dual-blade cutting deck design ensures that grass is cut evenly on every pass
- tight 16 inch turning radius
- Durable, welded steel frame for long life
- 6 cutting positions let you cut grass down to as short as 1-1/2 in. and as tall as 5-1/2 in.
- Travels at speeds of up to 5-1/2 MPH forward and 1-1/2 MPH in reverse for efficient mowing
- Comfortable, adjustable, high-back seat plus a handy beverage holder
- Delivered to your door assembled. Simply attach the seat and steering wheel
- MFG Brand Name : Ariens
- MFG Model # : 960460024
- MFG Part # : 960460024
- Number of Cylinders : Single Cylinder
Ask a question, leave a comment, tell us about your mower below:
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.