The new Craftsman Lawn Tractors are up on Sears.com so I thought I would go through the highlights and changes for 2013.
by: Paul Sikkema
First the highlights:
Sears continues to best the best place to order online, pick-up at your local store or have it delivered to your home. They started online shopping first and continue to make it as easy as possible.
Sears.com will have special pricing different from the stores. These special deals allow you to get the best deal possible on your new tractor, rider or zero-turn. These special deals may be as short as overnight and include promotions like free delivery, extra 5% off, free attachment and other incentives at different time throughout the season. Order you new tractor from the comfort of your home, pick up at your local store or have it delivered to your home.
Sears.com will have special bundles for the most popular attachments. Sears has recognized that many customers want to purchase attachments with their new tractor. They have identified five popular tractors and set up attachment bundles with special offers for them. When you visit Sears.com look in the right hand column for these special bundle offers.
Shop Your Way Rewards Members will have even more promotions available to them. These promotions are above and beyond the sales on Sears.com (be sure to sign up for free here Sears.com Click on the logo at the top left of your screen )
The process to buy your mower online is easy.
- Just click on a link on this site and you will be taken to the item on Sears.com you are looking for.
- Order it safely and securely through Sears.com
- Pick it up at your local Sears (Many tractors will be stocked at your local store and you can pick it up the same day)
- Or have it delivered right to your home. There may be a delivery charge but expect Sears to have free delivery promotions every time Lowes and The Home Depot runs it.
Craftsman will continue the “Nobody Beats Craftsman” program from 2012:
This program highlights the best of Craftsman through “Legendary Performance”, “Lasting Durability” and “Lowest Price Guarantee”
Turn Tight Technology – 6 inch turning radius on all the Yard Tractor and Garden Tractor series continues to lead the industry in maneuverability. No other brand comes close to this unique steering system. (The Turn Tight has proven to be a strong and reliable steering system and for most customers is a better choice than purchasing a zero-turn mower. Turn Tight allows you the maneuverability similar to a zero-turn and lets you pull (and back up) yard carts, dethatchers etc. )
Most Reliable Start – Briggs & Stratton motors in the LT & YT series Craftsman tractors come equipped with MRS Spark Plugs. This one small feature is a key to your tractor starting every time.
The Craftsman Exclusive Platinum Series™ engines – Available exclusively on YT series Craftsman tractors. Qualified to 25% longer life, created for medium to heavy-duty use. Heavy-duty single and V-Twin engines deliver more power, less vibration, quieter running and greater durability for the toughest work in your yard. Full Pressure Automotive type, Lube System oil system for cooler operation and longer life.
Lifetime Cast Iron Front Axle Warranty, 10 Year Steel Front Axle Warranty (Select Lawn Tractors) and 2 year warranty on all riders, tractors, and zero-turns.
Lowest Price Guarantee:
The Turf War continues for 2013 with the Craftsman Price Guarantee. If you find a lower price on a tractor, mower or line trimmer at your local Lowes or The Home Depot store, Craftsman will match it and give you up to $100 in Shop Your Way Rewards Points. Sears will have a special web page set up on Sears.com to match the comparable Craftsman model to the item at Lowes and The Home Depot.
The 2013 Craftsman Tractors, Riders and Zero-Turns
The Craftsman YT3000 and YT 4000 series will continue to be the most popular tractors on the market and in the Craftsman line. There are no expected changes for 2013.
The YT4500 54 inch Yard Tractor and GT6000 Garden Tractor will also stay the same for 2013.
And now the new ones! I have had a chance to look over and touch all of these new mowers. I got the chance to inspect them as they were being uncrated at my local Sears. What I’ll tell you is hands-on, not some advertising copy like the other blogs will let you read.
New Riding Mower: The 2012 30 inch 25000 riding mower is replaced with the 2013, 30 inch Model 29000. The only difference though is a new, redesigned discharge chute. The original chute caused the rider to not start, or run erratically. The new discharge chute fixes this issue and Craftsman decided to change the model number to avoid any confusion. The owners of the 2012 model absolutely love their rider and I expect the 29000 to be even more popular! Go here to read my 2012 review: 2012 RER-1000 See the new rider here on Sears.com: Craftsman 420cc 30″ 5-Speed Rider 16×6.5
New Under $1000 Lawn Tractor: Sears is introducing a lawn tractor specifically priced at under $1000. This mower is replaces the 2012 Model 28881. The Craftsman 420cc 42 7-Speed LT1500 is the same tractor as last year’s 28881 with the new Craftsman 420 cc engine that debuted in the Model 25000 rider last year. Customers that own this engine like it a lot. It’s quiet and very powerful. It’s under $1000 and has an oil filter! Go here to read my 2012 review: Craftsman 28881 Review See it at Sears.com here: Craftsman 420cc 42 7-Speed LT1500
New Hydrostatic, 22HP Lawn Tractor! Completely new this year is the Model 28915. See it at Sears.com here: Craftsman 22HP Kohler 46 Hand Hydro LT2500 20×8
The LT25000 is designed for those of you who want a hydro trans, a great motor, but don’t need all the features the Yard Tractor Series have. Consumer Reports gave this 46 inch deck a “Best Buy” last year under the Craftsman 28884. I expect this tractor to get “best buy” ratings this year.
One little item I especially like that I haven’t seen for a long time on a lawn tractor. The fender mounted hydro lever has a slot for normal mowing and another for running around the yard. You can set the control and know you are mowing at the right speed to get the best cut!
Here are some highlights:
- 22HP Kohler engine — With its innovative twin-cam design, the Kohler Courage® single-cylinder engine delivers more horsepower and greater displacement than any engine in its class
- Infinite-speed dual hydrostatic transmission with large 1 in. drive axle provides precise control, and the sealed designed reduces maintenance. (1 inch axle is what you find on the heavy-duty garden tractors)
- 46 in. twin blade deck provides great cutting performance
- Deep-design of the deck lifts grass up , for a superior cut
- 5 cutting heights from 1.5 in. to 4 in.
- High back seat
- 13 in. comfort grip steering wheel
- 18 in. turning radius
- Cast-iron front axle with lifetime warranty
- 2-year limited warranty backed by Sears In Home Service
New 54 inch Craftsman ZTL 8000 Zero Turn! Completely New!
Finally, a Zero Turn Craftsman Mower you can be proud to own!
I have been waiting for quite some time for Craftsman to get their act together and develop a quality zero-turn that is better than the other brands and still at a Craftsman price. I believe they have done it with this mower.
As you know, I really don’t like most of the consumer zero-turn mowers. They are too light for hills, flex too much for a quality cut, and the hydro drives are prone to failing long before the rest of the mower wears out. This new Craftsman fixes most of my issues with consumer zero-turns.
1. Most of the other brands use a welded tube chassis. These chassis if not gusseted well tend to flex and crack over time. The new Craftsman uses a “tub” chassis. This gives you a chassis that doesn’t flex and will give you years of service.
2. Most of the other brands have casters mounted directly to the chassis. This makes for a very rough ride over normal lawns. The new Craftsman uses a pivoting front axle to take the bumps and jars out of the ride. The larger front castor tires also help cushion the ride. I know it will ride better than any other zero-turn under $5000.
3. The new Craftsman has a shorter wheelbase and a wider stance than the very popular 54 inch Husqvarna. The shorter wheelbase will make it just a little more maneuverable and the wider stance will make it just a little more stable on hills. Coupled with the oscillating front axle it should hold on slopes better than most of the other brands.
4. Step on deck pulley covers. I don’t know about you but for me it has always been an athletic event trying to get on a 54 inch zero-turn without stepping on the deck. The pulley covers on the new Craftsman are diamond plate steel and can be stepped on for easier on and off the mower.
5. The Price! At $2999.99 it is a good deal but Sears.com will have even better deals all through the year. Right now they have an extra 5% off, free Delivery and 1, 2 or 5% rewards points using your Shop Your Way Rewards. (Depends on if you give Sears your email and if you use your Sears card to purchase the mower)
6. The transmissions: You normally only find the ZT-2800 transmissions on mowers in the $4000 to $5000 range. These transmissions will eliminate the fading on long slopes you find with other mowers. I feel this is the best feature on this Craftsman and I’ll bet all of the other review sites will agree that these transmissions alone make this zero-turn is the best “under $3000” mower on the market for 2013.
Read more about it here on Sears.com:
Craftsman 24HP Kohler V-Twin Zero Turn 54 Riding Mower
- Kohler Courage 24HP OHV V-Twin natural counter-balance design results in more power, less vibration, quieter operation, full pressure lubrication and premium spin-on oil filter for longer life
- Premium HydroGear ZT-2800 transmissions provided infinite speeds with serviceable oil reservoir
- 54 in. wide deck design features a timed triple blade system
- Deep-design of the deck pulls grass up into the blades, for a quality cut that leaves behind fine mulch
- Electric blade engagement controls blades with the push of a button
- 6 cutting heights from 1.5 in. to 4.0 in.
- Pivoting front axle and floating deck
- 12-volt, 230 CCA battery assures reliable starting in many different weather conditions
- 3-gallon gas tank with sight gauge
- Deluxe high back seat with auto slide
- 2-year limited warranty backed by Sears In Home Service
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.