It’s Not What’s Best, It What’s Best For You!
The 2014 John Deere D140 is one of the standards for lawn tractors. The D140 has been around now for a few years, but John Deere keeps improving it every year without raising the price. It compares very favorably to the identically priced 48 inch Husqvarna, Craftsman and Cub Cadet. Yes, when you go to the John Deere dealer he will tell you the X300 series is better, and it is if you want to spend another $2000. For the money the D140 continues to be one of the best values for a 48 inch cut lawn tractor.
I want to be clear. This is a great mower for your suburban yard but John Deere does not recommend installing a snow blower on it. If your driveways are large enough for a tractor mounted snow blower I suggest going with the X300 series John Deere’s or a Craftsman Garden Tractor. That is the only negative I have on this lawn tractor. This lawn tractor mows great for a 48 inch deck. The foot pedal hydrostatic transmission is very easy to use and has cruise control. This is a great choice for your 1 to 3 acre yard. The 18 inch turning radius is not the best in the industry but if you don’t have a lot of small obstructions to mow around it is just fine. I can recommend this tractor for most attachments including a bagger, lawn sweeper and yard cart.
Legendary John Deere durability is here on the D140, thanks to a solid, one-piece, 12-gauge frame, along a cast-iron front axle, and a high capacity engine filter – all proof that a lot more goes into a John Deere 100 Series tractor than meets the eye.
Is this mower for you?
- It will mow about 2 acres an hour
- Terrain: Flat, Slopes
- Standard High Back Seat
- Cast Iron front axle. This is axle won’t bend or break.
- Turning Radius similar to the Troy-Bilt, Ariens or Husqvarna lawn tractors, but is not as good as the Craftsman Yard Tractors or Cub Cadet 100 Series. If you don’t have a lot of small landscaping features and trees to mow around the 18 inch turning radius is fine.
- Tuff Torq® T40 hydro transmission gives an infinite choice of speeds and makes changing the direction of travel easy: Automotive-type accelerator provides infinite speed selection for the ultimate in operator comfort and convenience. The trans is heavy enough for all your yard work except ground engaging and snow blowing.
- I do like the 13 position cutting height control. You can fine tune your cut to easily match other mowers (your neighbors edge of the yard)
- It is easy to operate, push the large pedal on the right to go forward, push the small pedal to go back. A parking brake is on the left. Yes, it has cruise control
- It is priced competively at $1999.
- If you just want to mow your lawn, use a bagger to collect the clippings, and pull a yard cart this mower will work well for you. This tractor will handle a snow blade.
- Some John Deere dealers have on-site service or will pick up your tractor but you are responsible for the trip charge or for getting your tractor to the dealer for service
- You can purchase this tractor through The Home Depot and John Deere will set up this tractor and deliver it within 7-14 days by a local John Deere representative. At Delivery the customer will be taught by John Deere how to operate and maintain the mower.
- Standard 2 year/120 hour warranty on the tractor.
John Deere Garden Cart. 650 lb. 10 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Poly Utility Cart
John Deere 100 Series 48 in. Bagger for Tractor
John Deere 100 Series 2-Bar Bumper for Lawn Tractor
John Deere 48 in. Mower Blades (3-Pack)
John Deere Landscaping Supplies. 48 in. Mulch Cover
John Deere 46 in. Front Blade Attachment for Tractors
Complete Product Description: John Deere Riding Lawn Mower. D140 48 in. 22 HP Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine BG20730
See All Buying Options, Special Offers: John Deere Riding Lawn Mower. D140 48 in. 22 HP Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine BG20730
See All Pickup and Delivery Options: John Deere Riding Lawn Mower. D140 48 in. 22 HP Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine BG20730
See All Financing Options: Credit, Special Financing John Deere Riding Lawn Mower. D140 48 in. 22 HP Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine BG20730
2014 John Deere 48 inch Model D140 Review
From the beginning, every 100 Series Tractor is made right. With The Edge™ Cutting System, a 3-in-1 deck, you can choose between mulching, bagging, and side-discharging. The stamped deck design completely lifts grass for a precise, even cut. And you can find the precise mowing height every time, thanks to the ¼-inch height of cut adjustment. Legendary John Deere durability is also found on the 100 Series, thanks to a solid, one-piece, 12-gauge frame, along with heavy-duty crankshaft, a cast-iron front axle, and a high capacity engine filter – all proof that a lot more goes into a 100 Series tractor than meets the eye.