We spend so much time here discussing the Craftsman Yard and Garden Tractors that you may not even know they make a line of inexpensive lawn tractors. In this article I am going to go through each model including the new ones for 2015 with Kohler V-Twin Engines!
They may be cheap – but they are built to Craftsman’s tough quality standards. Even though these lawn tractors start around $1000 they are still Craftsman’s and for many of you they are the best tractor for your lawn.
These lawn tractors are an excellent choice if you are currently using a walk-behind lawn mower and now want to sit down and ride. Any of these mowers will cut your mowing time by two-thirds. All of them will mow well and you have the option of bagging, mulching or pulling a lawn sweeper. You can also pull a yard cart with any model. I don’t recommend them for snow removal but there is a snow blade, weights and chains available.
Please read the entire article before you make your choice. Feel free to ask questions in the comments section at the end.
Common Features of all Craftsman Lawn Tractors:
- You can buy all of the Craftsman lawn tractors online – click on the link below – pick it up at your nearest Sears – or have it delivered right to your home.
- All lawn tractors qualify for Special Offers like no interest for 12 month or 5% off with a Sears Card. Based on the time of year other Special Offers may include free delivery and extra 5% off when buying online.
- All decks cut well and are clones of the best rated decks. Most decks have anti-scalp wheels. The 42 inch and 46 inch decks give you a well-manicured cut.
- Craftsman lawn tractors accept a 42–46 In. Cut 2-Bin Bagger, 42″ Mulch Kit, 46 inch Mulch Kit and Single Bar Bumper.
- All Craftsman lawn tractors are easy to use and drive like the automatic in your car. Just put the F-N-R in F and then push on the accelerator pedal.
- All Craftsman lawn tractors can pull a yard cart, lawn sweeper and aerator.
- All engines have an oil filter.
- All Craftsman lawn tractors have a step-thru design that eliminates obstructions beneath the steering column for better, easier access on and off you tractor.
- All Craftsman lawn tractors have a 2 year defects warranty, 5 Year Frame, Lifetime Front Axle.
- Parts are always available 24 hours a day through Sears PartsDirect. Use the coupon code 90055 anytime to get 10% off your parts.
- Sears Repair Services offers in-home warranty repair and maintenance. You can set up an appointment anytime at Sears.com or by calling 1-800-4MY-HOME
- Sears Protection Plans are available on all lawn tractors for up to 5 years.
- All Craftsman lawn tractor except the gray version will mow in reverse.
So Which Model Is Best For You. Let’s Start With The Least Expensive
Buy Here at Sears.com Model 20370 Craftsman 420cc 42” Riding Mower
The Craftsman Model 20370 lawn tractor is inexpensive but it really is not cheaply built. This mower will work well for a small lawn with few obstructions. The engine is a full pressure with oil filter (just like your car) and has plenty of power for the 42 inch, 2 blade deck. It has a shift-on-the-go transmission. You step on the left pedal, put the dash mounted shifter into 1 thru 7 and then release the pedal. You can shift up without using the pedal if you are moving to slow. To slow down you press the pedal and then move the lever into the slower speed. Since many inexperienced owners buy this mower as their first it will not mow in reverse.
A few items to consider before you buy this mower: Do not buy this mower based on price alone. Make sure this mower is suited for the job you want to do. This is a basic mower. It is a good mower for the first time buyer but it is not a replacement mower for your old green Craftsman. If you are replacing an older Craftsman this mower is very different from your old one. You won’t like it! (Your old Craftsman is now the Yard Tractor series) It does not come with anti-scalp wheels and there are none available. The clutch is not like the clutch in your car. When you release it the tractor Goes! There is no feathering like an automotive clutch. It will not coast downhill. When you press the clutch it sets the brake and you stop. I only recommend this tractor if you have a very small lawn with few obstructions.
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20370 at sears.com: Craftsman 420cc 42” Riding Mower
Buy Here at Sears.com Model 20372 New! Craftsman 420cc Automatic 42” Riding Mower
For only $100 more you get the Model 20372 with a very easy to use Automatic Transmission! For the first time-buyer this is a great choice. You get a full-featured lawn tractor at a very good price. In addition you get two anti-scalp wheels ($50 value) on the deck and Craftsman Red paint! The automatic drives just like you car. Put the fender F-N-R selector in F and press on the right pedal. The speed is controlled by how far you press the pedal down. When you take you foot off the pedal the mower stops moving.
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20372 at sears.com: Craftsman 420cc Automatic 42” Riding Mower
Buy Here at Sears.com Model 20373 Craftsman 17.5 HP Automatic 42” Riding Mower
If you prefer a built in the U.S.A. Briggs & Stratton engine in an inexpensive lawn tractor this is it! Just like the For the first time-buyer this is a great choice. You get a full-featured lawn tractor at a very good price. In addition you get two anti-scalp wheels ($50 value) on the deck and Craftsman Red paint! The automatic drives just like you car. Put the fender F-N-R selector in F and press on the right pedal. The speed is controlled by how far you press the pedal down. When you take you foot off the pedal the mower stops moving. Overall this mower gets good reviews and has been around for a few years now. It is a great riding mower to replace that walk-behind!
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20373 at sears.com: Craftsman 17.5 HP Automatic 42” Riding Mower
Buy Here at Sears.com Model 20374 Craftsman 19 HP Automatic 46” Riding Mower
If you want to get done just a little faster the 46 inch deck cut your mowing time about 10% over a 42 inch deck. The 19 HP Briggs & Stratton engine gives you a little more power for long grass. A 46 inch deck’s cutting blades are a little longer and that allows them to throw grass into the optional 2-bin bagger better than the 42 inch lawn tractor deck. This mower is a great choice if you have a lot of leaf cleanup in the fall. This mower has an excellent service record and most owners are very happy with it. The speed is controlled by how far you press the pedal down. When you take you foot off the pedal the mower stops moving.
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20374 at sears.com: Craftsman 19 HP Automatic 46” Riding Mower
Model 20376 and 20379
Many of you wanted a Kohler engine in your lawn tractor and this is one sweet Kohler. The V-Twin is very smooth and the new 7000 series is one of the best engines you can get in a lawn tractor. I expect this engine to last you years
The speed is controlled by how far you press the pedal down. When you take you foot off the pedal the mower stops moving. This is Model is available online ONLY and will be discontinued for 2016! Purchase this mower through the links below. It will be delivered to your local Sears or you can opt to have it delivered right to your home.
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20376 at sears.com: Craftsman 20 HP Kohler V-Twin Automatic 42” Riding Mower
Click on this link to learn more about the Model 20379 at sears.com: Craftsman 22 HP Kohler V-Twin Hydrostatic 46″ Riding Mower