I know many of you not only need a lawn tractor or zero turn mower but also need a walk-behind for trimming, mowing ditches and small areas you can’t get to with your rider. Here are 5 mowers from Toro, Craftsman and Ariens that have caught my attention for 2014.
My Number One: Craftsman 40-volt Li-Ion, 20″ 2-in-1 Cordless Push Lawn Mower
I’ve wanted a cordless trim mower for a long time. I have designed my landscaping so I have very little trimming so I don’t use a gas powered walk behind mower often enough to keep the fuel fresh. Most of the time I spend more time getting it running than I actually mow with it. So every year I keep hoping someone will develop a good cordless, maintenance free mower. Up until this point all the previous cordless mowers were too small, had short run-times or had batteries that did not last. So when I saw this mower at my local Sears Sunday I was very interested.Buy Here at Sears.com:-> Craftsman 40-volt Li-Ion Dual Battery, Dual Blade, 20″ 2-in-1 Cordless Push Lawn Mower 10″
- Cut is only 1 inch smaller than your current gas powered push mower! 20 inch cut! According to Craftsman the two 10″ blades provide up to 50% better mulching than single blade mowers.
- Powered by the Craftsman 40-volt lithium-ion battery system. The included (1) 4 Ah and (1) 2 Ah battery also power a leaf blower, hedge trimmer and 12 inch trim saw.
- Uses one battery at a time and the automatic battery switch over switches to a charged battery once one is used up.
- Electronic Governor: Mower senses grass conditions to automatically adjust the speed of the blades for best performance and runtime.
- 2-in-1 cutting deck system allows you to choose between mulching and rear bag. The included Craftsman dust blocker bag is as larger as the ones on their push mowers.
- The 5 position height adjustment controls all 4 wheels and is very easy to adjust. The height is not listed but appears to be 1 to 4 inches.
- The mower is very lightweight. 42 lbs compared to a gas powered mower at 70 lbs. It is very easy to push and maneuver across your lawn.
- Up to 70 minute run time on the two included batteries. Not enough? Drop the spent one in the quick charger and charge it while you continue to mow for even longer run times. (The 2 A battery charges in 1 hour, the 4 A in 2 hours. Still not enough, additional batteries are affordable and cost about the same as a lithium drill battery.
- Don’t be put off by the price. The price includes 2 batteries and charger that if purchased alone cost almost $300. Plus the batteries can be used with the other new Craftsman 40 volt yard tools!
Other products in the 40 Lithium Line:
- String Trimmer – Craftsman 40V 12″ Cordless String Trimmer and Edger Large I like the arm rest!
- Chain Saw with Oregon Bar and Chain – Craftsman 40V Cordless Chainsaw – 98946 More powerful than you think.
- Cordless Blower – Craftsman 40V Handheld Cordless Blower – 99077 Good for cleaning your sidewalks and patio.
- Extra 4 Amp Hour Battery – Craftsman 40V Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery – 98742
- Extra 2 Amp Hour Battery – Craftsman 40V Lithium-Ion Battery
- Hedge Trimmer – Craftsman 40V Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer
Number Two: “SmartStow” from Toro
Toro had the idea, Briggs & Stratton made it work! The new “SmartStow” lawn mower from Toro can be folded and stored vertically in a garage. This new feature is made possible by a new Briggs & Stratton engine using new leak proof gaskets. For homeowners making do with a cramped backyard shed or a little corner of the garage, this new Toro Smart Stow mower handles can be folded down and the mower stored vertically so it takes up about 70 percent less space. Plus the mower it is a Toro Recycler, one of the best mulching mowers.
- Breakthrough Mow ‘n’ Stow technology with the powerful, reliable and easy-to-start 7.25 ft. lb. gross torque 190 cc Briggs and Stratton engine allows the mower to be stored vertically with no fuel or oil leaks.
- Vertical storage reduces the storage footprint needed for your mower by up to 70% and provides easier access for you to clean under the deck and service the blade
- Recycler cutting system with front throw chamber and atomic blade provides superior mulching performance for a healthy, lush lawn
- Front wheel drive provides better maneuverability and makes mowing in tight spaces easier
- 11 in. high rear wheels assist you in tackling uneven or rough terrain
- 22 in. cutting width allows you to cut a wide area with each pass for greater productivity
- 1-4 in. adjustable height-of-cut range so that you can manicure your lawn to your height preference
- Quick-wash port allows you to attach a garden hose to quickly flush out grass clippings from under the deck
- Better peace of mind with 3 year guaranteed-to-start promise and a 2 year full warranty
Number Three: Craftsman “Quiet Power”, 22″ Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Briggs & Stratton didn’t forget Craftsman this year either. “Quiet Power Technology” engines makes Craftsman mowers 60 percent quieter than its counterparts. Craftsman mowers with Briggs & Stratton’s Quiet Power Technology engine offer less noise. A quieter mower is safer for ears and helps the operator stay aware of children or pets while mowing. Neighbors will appreciate less noise, too. Strong, powerful 7.25 torque gives you plenty of power for all mowing conditions.
Number Four: Craftsman “Quiet Power”, 22″ All-Wheel Drive Lawn Mower
Got hills? This new mower not only features Briggs & Stratton’s “Quiet Power Technology” but handles steep inclines and ditches with full-time 4 Wheel Drive! If you are wearing golf spikes to mow your lawn this mower will help you get the job done.
Number Five: Ariens Razor
Don’t Forget the Ariens Razor 21 in. Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
It’s not new, but it is one of the better mowers on the market.
The Ariens Razor Walk Behind Lawn Mower is especially good at mulching and is packed with many innovative features that make it easy to use. This may be the last mower you ever buy.
- 159 cc Ariens engine delivers premium power
- Auto-choke, no prime starting
- Single point deck height adjustment is simple and quick to adjust
- 3-in-1 system lets you choose between bagging, mulching and side discharge without the need for tools
- Deep domed deck design provides excellent performance in any cutting mode
- Rite-Hite handlebar adjustment allows operator to adjust handlebar from operator position by pushing the bail forward
- Handlebar adjustments allow for 3 mowing positions and 2 storage positions, upright and folded down
- Variable speed self propelled feature makes it easy to go as fast or as slow as you need with the simple squeeze of a lever
- Ergonomically designed handle bar and bale grip provide comfort while mowing for long periods of time
- Four large 8.375 in. wheels smooth out the bumps for better maneuverability
- Large 2 bushel bagger and wire bagger frame is easy to empty and attach
- High lift blade maximizes bagging efficiency
- Item usually ships in 7-10 business days
- Delivered to your door mostly assembled, simply attach the handle using basic instructions