After a tragic accident in Tampa last night I need to remind all of you to be careful and never allow children around you when you are mowing your lawn.
Just remember. It can happen to YOU!
Tragic accidents can occur if the operator is not alert to the presence of children. Children are often attracted to the machine and the mowing activity. Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them.
1. Keep small children out of the mowing area, and in the watchful care of a responsible adult other than the operator.
2. Be alert and turn machine off if a child enters the area.
3. Before and while backing, look behind and down for small children.
4. Never carry children, even with the blade(s) shut off. They may fall off and be seriously injured or interfere with safe mower operation. Children who have been given rides in the past may suddenly appear in the mowing area for another ride and be run over or backed over by the machine.
5. Never allow children to operate the machine.
6. Use extreme care when approaching blind corners, shrubs, and trees, or other objects that may block your view of a child.
Here is the original Tampa Tribune Article : http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/palm-harbor-father-backed-over-daughter-while-cutting-lawn-b82476953z1