Update: This mower has been discontinued through the big box stores but is readily available from your local Husqvarna Dealer and Biuld.com. My Dealer is Eau Claire Lawn Equipment. Please use the Category Menu in the right hand column to read the current reviews.
I have a house on one acre with 14 landscape beds, 40 trees, 16 Lilac bushes and a 60 ft by 60 ft dog yard with a 34 inch gate. I own a 30 inch zero-turn and if I needed to replace it this would be the mower I would buy. It is the perfect size for all the obstacles I have to go around and through. A 42 inch Lawn Tractor or Yard Tractor is impractical for my yard.
I have had a chance to test drive this mower (I didn’t get to mow with it) and compared to my 3033 Dixon this is what I like:
– Tires: For it’s size it has nice large rear tires and front casters. I hate the tire size and “Z” casters on my old Dixon 3033 and the RX3016 is a major improvement. The larger tire size helps it to not divot the lawn and makes for a much smoother ride. Having the larger tires helps it to go through dips and potholes much better than my old machine.
– Transmission: The EZT hydrostatic transmissions are smooth and dependable. The old “cone drive” system on my Dixon is slushy and you never, quite know where you will end up when you turn. The EXT’s are very precise and easy to use. I would love to have this much control with a small mower like this.
– Size: 30 inches wide. I have a 34 inch gate on my dog yard and a 30 inch mower is perfect. I also own an OLD John Deere 8 cu. ft. dump cart that’s only 30 inches wide and the RZ3016 would be perfect for pulling that around the yard.
– Adjustable seat: I’m big and my wife is tall and thin. Having an adjustable seat on a zero-turn is a must. This allows us to both comfortably use the mower without one of us having to sacrifice comfort.
– Motor: The 16 hp Briggs INTEK has plenty of power to mow at full speed. (The old Dixon has only a 10 hp) Coupled with the 3 gallon gas tank you can easily mow 4 or 5 acres before adding fuel.
– Price: At about $2200 this mower is a great value. I know….many of you are used to paying a lot less for a lawn tractor or yard tractor, but this machine is well worth the money! This mower is actually cheaper than than my old machine was 15 years ago. (I paid $3400 for a comparable Dixon back then)
– Speed: The RZ3016 is capable of 6 mph. (realistic mowing speed about 4) Coupled with the 16 hp motor I know I can cut my current mowing time of 45 minutes by quite a bit. I dare you to try and mow my yard with a 42 inch yard tractor in that amount of time!
– Easy to work on: I do all of my own repairs and I like the way the RZ3016 “opens” up. All the components are easily accessible.
Ask a question, leave a comment, tell us about your mower below:
Here is a summary of the mower’s features from the Husqvarna website:
The new RZ3016 raises the bar on compact size, without compromising performance. From the rugged steel tube frame, maintenance free drive system and new high performance cutting deck, to the simplified controls and smooth operation, this new addition offers outstanding value to the RZ family.
Engine Briggs & Stratton Intek
Power 16.5 hp
Electrical System 12V- 16Amp
Air Filter type Standard OEM
Fuel Type Gasoline
Fuel tank volume (with reserve) 3 gal.
Transmission type EZT
Speed forward, min-max 0-6 mph
Speed reverse, min-max 0-3.5 mph
Cutting deck width 30 inch
Cutting deck type Stamped
Cutting height, min-max (approximate) 1.5 – 4.5 inch
Blade engagement Manual
Seat type Vinyl with built in slide
Tire size, front 11×4-5″
Tire size, rear 18×6.5-8″
Base machine, length 72 inch
Base machine, width (chute down) 36 inch
Weight 395 lbs
Productivity 1.6 acres/hr
To buy this mower click on the link below.
Husqvarna 966 61 23-01 Self-Propelled RZ3016 16.5HP Zero Turn Lawn Mower with a 30″ High Performance Stamped Steel Mower Deck 966 61 23-01 Free shipping is available at this time.