The XP Horse is Troy-Bilt’s largest, most powerful riding mower! The Horse™ XP lawn tractor features a powerful 22.0 HP* Single Kohler® Courage engine and a cast-iron front axle. The fender controlled hydrostatic transmission, Soft Touch steering wheel and high-back seat, make this lawn tractor the best Troy-Bilt has to offer.
by: Paul Sikkema
This is another great value lawn tractor for the price. On sale at under $1400 it is one of the least expensive lawn tractors on the market with a Kohler motor and hydrostatic transmission. It is not a “cheaply built” mower though and has the dependability and workmanship you come to expect from Troy-Bilt. Read the reviews at Troy-Bilt here: Troy-Bilt Reviews. It features a good 46 inch deck, a 22 hp Kohler Courage engine, and an easy to use fender controlled hydrostatic transmission. This mower can be equipped with a bagger, mulch kit and will pull a small yard cart! You can mount a snow blade but not a snow thrower.
Is this the right lawn tractor for you? Please read this entire review before you buy this tractor. I am going to spend some time and go over this mower completely. This mower is a great value but it is not for everyone.
See the full specifications at Troy-Bilt
Here are some highlights:
- 22HP Kohler engine — I have always had good luck with Kohler engines.
- Infinite-speed dual hydrostatic transmission. I like the “notch” in the speed control so you mow at the correct speed.
- 46 in. twin blade deck provides great cutting performance. Deep-design of the deck lifts grass up , for a superior cut. 5 cutting heights from 1 in. to 4 in.
- High back seat and large 13 in. steering wheel
- 18 in. turning radius with Cast-iron front axle with lifetime warranty. The same turning radius as the John Deere 100 series.
- 2-year limited warranty backed by Troy-Bilt. 4 year Protection Plan available.
Is this the right mower for you? The positive:
– If you just want to mow your lawn and you have a fairly flat lawn about 1/2 to 2 acres, this tractor will do the job. It does have anti-scalp wheels on the deck and it does have a deluxe seat. If you have a lawn without a lot of trees and other landscape features to mow around this may be a good choice for you. This tractor will mow up to 1 1/4 acres an hour.
– Most owners today prefer a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission: A “hydro” is easier to use than a gear drive transmission and saves you time when mowing around many obstructions. This mower uses a fender mounted control lever. Using a fender control instead of a foot control is a nice feature if you are under 5 ft 5 in and have a hard time reaching a foot pedal or if you physically have a hard time holding a speed control with your foot.
Is this the right mower for you? The negative:
– This mower is a great value, but it is not for everyone. It is designed to primarily mow lawns. If you need a rider that will pull a heavy yard cart, sweeper or ground engaging attachments look at a different tractor.
– This mower is lightweight and not recommended for more than 15 degree slopes. Customers who have steeper slopes say it does not have enough traction. For flat and gently sloping yards the owners like the quality of cut. If you are NOT going to use a bagger Troy-Bilt does offer a rear weight kit.
– This deck is a high air-flow deck. It has vents in the top to let in a lot of air. This is a great design because the extra airflow lifts the grass well and it cuts your lawn very evenly. This mower side discharges and bags well. But, if you install a mulch kit it restricts this airflow and a lot of customers complain that the grass clippings get blow out the right front side of the deck and all over you and the tractor.
– This mower will mow in reverse but some users complain there are a lot of steps to get it to mow in reverse. To mow in reverse you have to move the keep to the reverse position, push the button and then shift the fender mounted hydro control into reverse.
If you do not purchase the Lowes Extended Protection Plan be sure you understand how to get your new mower repaired if there is a mechanical defect. Talk to the store where you picked it up and read the operator’s manual warranty statement.
Reliability – New to 3 yrs: This tractor is serviced by an authorized Troy-Bilt repair center. There have been no issues with the build quality. After reading over 150 reviews of this tractor the only issues I really see is operator error. The most negative reviews comment about it not going up steep hills or the owner did not store it properly over the winter. The tractor itself is put together well.
If you decide this is the right mower for you take advantage of all the special offers Lowes has: After you click on the link below and go to Lowes, look in the right hand column to see the current offers.
Lowe’s Extended Protection Plans
Face it, your new mower is a mechanical device and eventually it will need some repairs. Lowes offers protection plans on lawn tractors. This is the BEST and easiest way to have a hassle free experience with your new Troy-Bilt. No worries about finding and taking your machine to an authorized dealer for repairs.